Posted by Ryan Spates in S&S Trails Blog on Oct. 26, 2009 - 2:56 pm
So, we’ve started a new project out at Senna Hills with the cooperation of the Homeowners Association, and the MUD, that will be a 2.5 mile long system initially. The project, located just west of Austin, is a high end neighborhood with rolling hill country terrain surrounding it. We’ve only begun the project a week ago and made some pretty good progress, despite all the rain. We even had a pretty successful volunteer workday this past Saturday. Its great when the neighbors all get behind a project! The board even offered for us to use volunteers in this case, as we were planning on strictly a turn key project.
Pictures and progress reports to follow soon!
So, September kept S&S Trails busy with reroutes on the horse trails at Pedernales Falls State Park, and with exploring some contract opportunities for the coming months. We were able to finish about half of the work that needed to be done at the state park. The rest will be finished in November, when the funding is complete.
We used a couple of new to us techniques that really helped make the project go well. We were rerouting trails that were fall line, and putting in contour trail. This also meant we needed to close down the old sections of trail. We wanted to rehab the trails as best we could. This meant that the hard packed earth had to be dealt with. Typically, this would involve scoring the ground somehow, but the trails had eroded down to bedrock in many locations, making scarification almost impossible. Also, we had this issue of all this top soil we were removing from the new sections of trail, that would just get moved downhill. Our solution came in the form of a Bradco Tilt Attach. We used our blade to get the bench cuts started and a second machine equipped with the tilt attach to scoop up the spoils. We then deposited the spoils on the old trail tread, filling it as well as we could. This helped in a number of ways, the largest is it all but eliminated the hand work that needed to be done on the new sections of trail. True, there were still track marks to get rid of and some masking to do, but not the large amount of labor intensive dirt raking.